Tuesday 25 December 2018

Rival - By Lacy Yager


Rival is a book suitable for the Young Adult market of age 13 and above. One reason I tend to dislike novellas is because they tend to be rather short – but this isn’t the case with this book – I found that it was just about right with the length and what was covered in it.

Once you look past the idea of “Trashy Romance” that screams out at you from the cover of the book, the book, in itself is not that bad since it has a fair dose of action included in it, too, with the lead character being a martial artist who’s very much interested in vampire hunting. In general, the book is a good read and I’m glad that I got the chance to read and review it.

I also like the way that juvenile arthritis is portrayed in this book since it is pretty accurate with what happens in real life. With that said though, I’m not so sure that martial arts would be suggested as a plan of treatment – usually, it tends to be gentler sports such as swimming.

What I didn’t like so much was the fact that there are many holes left in the plot – so little was said after Erick was caught by the police, which was a point I’d have liked to have had closure on. It also seems a bit daft to spend ages following a martial arts competition from the start to pick up on it in the past tense at the crucial moment that the readers were looking forward to seeing what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rival - By Lacy Yager

Rival is a book suitable for the Young Adult market of age 13 and above. One reason I tend to dislike novellas is because they tend to ...