Sunday 16 December 2018

Valkyrie - By Pet Torres


Valkyrie is a book that is somewhat difficult to classify. I have read that it's suitable for children between the ages of 9 - 18... but I suspect that some children on the younger end of that age spectrum may struggle to understand some of the words (I know I did and I'm considerably older than 9).

As the cover suggests, Valkyrie is a vampire princess... though she doesn't know it yet. She was raised by her overprotective mother and made it through her entire life to date never knowing who her father is, though she has always been tormented by strange dreams.

There's something off about the new boy in school, too. For some reason, Valkyrie has an instant dislike of him... Is there really something sinister about him, or can the two of them look past initial impressions to become friends?

As far as books go, I found this one to be a little on the short side for a book in the young adult genre... however, once I saw that the author was targeting the book at children as young as 9, I sort of understood why it was a shorter book.

I enjoyed the plot and found that it flowed quite smoothly and at a good pace, however, I do have to admit that it does need the love of an editor desperately! There are a few typing errors and spacing errors in the first half of the book, but, if you can push past them, it does get better once Pet has finished her first cup of coffee of the day. Considering that the author isn't from an English speaking country, the typing errors are very few and can be overlooked... however, I find the spacing errors to be much harder to disregard - especially as I read along as my Kindle reads aloud to me.

I didn't really like the length of the book considering the fact that it is marketed at young adults, and, if I could change anything about the book for myself, I would bring books 1 and 2 together and sell them that way... however, considering that the version that I read is free on Kindle Unlimited, I don't feel that I can complain as much as I would if I'd bought a paperback version of the same book. As far as recommendations go, I'd recommend giving the book a read if you are able to get a free version, but I wouldn't be falling over myself to buy a paperback version if what I have just read is anything to go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rival - By Lacy Yager

Rival is a book suitable for the Young Adult market of age 13 and above. One reason I tend to dislike novellas is because they tend to ...