Thursday 6 December 2018

Wild-born - By Adrian Howell


Wild-born is a young adult book suitable for young adults aged 13 and over. It is the first book in a five part series... and the Kindle edition is currently free to read. UK readers can obtain their copy of the book here.

As far as books go, I found the beginning to be rather confusing because of the fact that the main character shares his name with the author... and the author has tried to convince readers that the story is, in fact, a true story.

Having read the book in its entirety, I must admit that I found the "true story" idea impossible to swallow simply because of the way that he sketched over some elements of the plot that were pretty pivotal to the overall plot of the story... and, ultimately, the ending of the story would have been impossible to keep out of the media if it were to be true.

The book is pretty slow to warm up, with not a lot of any interest happening prior to the accident, but it does get more interesting if you can hold on beyond that point.

As far as characters go, there is only one within this book that annoyed me - and, fortunately, she is ultimately written out by the midpoint of the book... though there are references made to her throughout the story.

The only thing that I didn't particularly like about the book was the ending because I picked up on the sense that the author was getting a little close to his word count for this particular book and as a result, the ending turned out to be a little choppier than I would have liked it to have been and left far too many loose ends that will be picked up on in book two.

Personally speaking, I am sitting on the fence about book two in this series after the book that I've just read. While I enjoyed the book as a whole, I don't think that I would be so keen to read the sequel if it takes as long to reach pace as the book that I've just finished did.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great review - I love the cover of this book. You inspire me to work more on my own children's literature blog that's been untouched for a while. I love reading and discussing middle grade and young adult novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Linda. It was the cover of the book that hooked me into downloading the book in the first place.

      I had been bouncing this blog about from place to place in an effort to find somewhere where I was happy with it during my down time, but I've decided to leave it here after all.

      Delete

Rival - By Lacy Yager

Rival is a book suitable for the Young Adult market of age 13 and above. One reason I tend to dislike novellas is because they tend to ...