Friday 14 December 2018

The Mind Readers - By Lori Brighton


The Mind Readers is suitable for young adults aged 13 and over.

The story follows Cameron a girl who has the undesired gift of reading the thoughts of others. One is lead to believe that this gift is something that she cannot switch off and that she doesn’t want the ability anymore. When Lewis shows up in school and offers to teach her how to control her ability, is everything as it seems or is something more sinister at work here?

This was a book that I really enjoyed. Not only were the typing errors kept down to a minimum (I counted just one) but the plot itself ran smoothly and had just the right number of twists and turns to ensure that I didn’t get too relaxed and chilled out with the book. There are lots of elements to enjoy starting with the way that the author describes the memories Cameron receives from others – although this starts out pretty mundane, it was well worth sticking with for what came later. However, as I read the story, I couldn’t help but feel that the author had somewhat given away her ending pretty early on with the book by making the lead character too suspicious for her own good. That’s a point I would like to see cut back on drastically if ever there is  a re-print of this book.

I’d also like more of an explanation into why Cameron starts off seeing Aaron as an uncle figure, then her friendship rapidly deteriorates from there – this matter seems to get swept under the rug in the scope of the bigger picture, yet I feel that it could be an important factor in my overall enjoyment of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rival - By Lacy Yager

Rival is a book suitable for the Young Adult market of age 13 and above. One reason I tend to dislike novellas is because they tend to ...